Permit and waitlist instructions and guidelines for Phase I of Registration for Spring 2018: Phase I of registration is October 30th-December 15. Permit and prerequisite override requests are accepted until the day before registration closes (11:59pm on Thursday December 14th).
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
- The waitlists will be carried onto Phase II of registration.
- If a course has a waitlist, the open seats are reserved for the people on top of the waitlist. DO NOT DROP YOUR CURRENT SECTION UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE WAITLISTED .
- The waitlist system will start issuing notifications to register on November 3rd at around 11am. The waitlist system will be paused on November 21st and will restart on November 27th at 9am.
- The School of Math does not issue course overloads.
- Step-by-step instructions on waitlists can be found at the Registrar's webpage.
- The School of Math only issues restricted class permits and prerequisite overrides for mathematics courses when appropriate. We do not issue overloads. Requests for permits or prereq override requests must be submitted online through the OSCAR Registration System. Access through Buzzport or OSCAR login.
- We DO NOT accept walk-in, telephone, or e-mail permit and prerequisite override requests.
- An auto-generated message will be sent to your GT account when your request is processed.
- Do not contact instructors or staff. They will not be able to assist you with permit issues.
WE ISSUE TWO TYPES OF PERMITS:
- Prerequisite override: for a student who has not had the proper prerequisite/corequisite for a math class.
- Restricted class permit: for a student who cannot register for a math class because of a major restriction or a class restriction.
WE DO NOT ISSUE OVERLOADS. If a section has no available seats, students can register as waitlisted. Please do not use a permit or prereq override request to ask for an overload. These requests will not be honored and will be deleted.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION :
- We use the Waitlist functionality of the Registration System. If a section has no available seats, students will be able to register for the waitlist of the section. If seats become available, the system will automatically issue a notification with a permission to register through email to the next student on the waitlist. Notifications are valid for a time period of 12hrs; after that time, the permission to register expires and the seat will be given to the next person on the waitlist. The waitlist system works on a first-come-first-serve basis, but we reserve the right to give waitlist priority to some degree candidates.
- The waitlist notifications will start once all time tickets are open. IF A SECTION HAS A WAITLIST, THE OPEN SEATS ARE RESERVED FOR THE PEOPLE ON TOP OF THE WAITLIST. DO NOT DROP YOUR CURRENT SECTION UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE WAITLISTED.
- Students that register as waitlisted for a section in Phase I will retain their spot on the list for Phase II. The waitlists will not be purged between registration phases.
- The last round of waitlist notifications will be issued at 4pm ET the day before registration closes. After 4pm ET, the waitlist option is no longer available in Buzzport/OSCAR. The waitlists will be purged on the last day of registration at 11am, and at this time, there is free-for-all registration (no waitlisting).
- Registering on a waitlist does not guarantee that you will receive a seat in the section. You will not be registered in the course until you receive a notification and register for the course during the 12 hour period.
- We recommend that students register for required Mathematics, English, lab sciences, computer sciences and major specific courses during Phase I. We may not able to accommodate individual schedule preferences.
- We have restricted MATH 2106, MATH 3012, MATH 3215, MATH 3406, MATH 4032, MATH 4107, MATH 4108, MATH 4150, MATH 4317, MATH 4318 and MATH 4640 for specific majors. Restrictions will be lifted on November 10th at noon.
- Permits and prerequisite overrides are processed independently. You may need to submit more than one type of request for a course. Requesting a permit or a prerequisite override does not guarantee that it will be granted.
- An auto-generated message will be sent to your GT account when your permit or prereq override request is processed. You can also check your request status on OSCAR. A typical processing time for a prerequisite or permit request is three workdays. All requests received through OSCAR will be processed by noon on the last day of each registration period.
- A student cannot attend class without being enrolled in it. If you have received a permit, you must add the section to your schedule to be enrolled in it.
- During Phase I and the beginning of Phase II of registration, an undergraduate student can be registered or on waitlists for at most 4 credit hours of core math courses in one term. This restriction will be lifted at the end of Phase I of registration. The math core courses are MATH 1113, 1550, 1551, 1552, 1553, 1554, 1564, 1555, 1711, 1712, 2550, 2551, 2552, 2561, 2562.
- Sections R are for GT-Lorraine students only. Sections RCH are for GT-Shanghai students only.
- Sections QHx, Q, QUP and Q1 are video sections. Main-campus students cannot register for these video sections.
- Most 4000 level courses are divided into graduate and undergraduate sections. The section for graduate students ends with a "G", and the section for undergraduate students ends with a "U". A graduate student does not need a prerequisite override for a 4000 level section that ends with a "G". A graduate student cannot register for a 4000 level section that ends with a "U". An undergraduate student cannot register for a 4000 level section that ends with a "G".
- Graduate students trying to register for a 3000 level class must request a prerequisite override through OSCAR.
- See also the registration information page at the Registrar's site
- If you still have questions, email the academic office.