0. How many credit hours do I need to register for in order to have Full Time status?
You must register for at least 12 hours every semester when you are a TA, RA, or hold another fellowship. During Fall and Spring semesters, up to 3 of these hours may be for audit. In the Summer up to 6 hours may be for audit.
1. I cannot register for a Math class, or need a special permit, or am waitlisted. What should I do?
2. I need to add or drop a class passed the deadline. Is that possible?
3. How can I apply for travel support?
Fill out the Travel Request Form, scan it, and email it to the Grad Director. Also have your advisor email a supporting message as well. For the School’s travel policies and guidelines see our Travel Support Page.
4. How do I obtain a letter which certifies my status and employment in the School?
The Grad Coordinator can write this for you.
5. What are the procedures for the oral exam?
See our Oral Exam Page.
6. What are the procedures and forms for thesis defense and graduation?
See our Dissertation and Graduation Page.
7. How do I register for a reading class with a faculty member?
After obtaining that faculty member’s permission, you sign up for Math 8900-X, where X is the name of the professor.
8. How do I change my PhD advisor or mentor?
If another faculty member agrees to become your advisor, simply send a message to that effect to the Grad Director.
9. I am a PhD student and I would like to pick up an MS degree along the way. What do I need to do?
10. I had taken some graduate level math classes elsewhere and wonder if I can get credit for them here?
Contact the Director of Advising and Assessment for the grad program. If you are a PhD student in Math, see the section on "Credit Transfers" on this page. MS students may transfer at most 6 credits. Any credit transfer request must be accompanied by: (a) Syllabi and Catalogue description of the previous course; (b) A transcript indicating the grade for that course; and (c) The name and number of the proposed equivalent class at Georgia Tech. For more info see the GT Catalogue.
11. I am a 5th year PhD student. What do I need to do if I want to stay for a 6th year?
Please have your advisor petition the Grad Committee by sending an email to the Grad Director.
12. How can I get an extension for my I-20 visa?
13. How can I make sure that the courses I plan to take will satisfy the requirements for the MS degree?